To the north of Northleach the upper Windrush Valley is still sheep
country. At Naunton, the straggling Cotswold village beneath the
Cheltenham to Stow road the medieval monastic landlords of Llanthony
and St Oswald's Priories in Gloucester both specialised in sheep
The valley at Naunton is filled with flowers which only occur on
unimproved limestone pasture. Cowslips in spring, yellow rattle
and orchids in summer.
Naunton has a famous dovecote erected in 1660.
In the foreground of our photograph is a typical example of a Cotswold
stone wall with the village and its prominent church nestling in
the valley below.